Our History
In 1934, the Mayoress of Williamstown, Mrs J T Gray, with the support of local members of the community, including Mrs Robina Scott, met and laid plans to open a free kindergarten in Williamstown. Operating from the St Andrew’s Church Hall in Cecil Street, the small Williamstown Free Kindergarten opened and catered for 36 children in one room.
Mrs Muster, a local chemist, donated land to the Williamstown Council on condition that it be used for a Kindergarten. This new Kindergarten opened in 1953, catering for 90 children. In 1966, the Williamstown Free Kindergarten Committee renamed the Kindergarten to Robina Scott Kindergarten, honouring Mrs Robina Scott who was Honorary Secretary for 34 years, clearly a driving force behind the Kindergartens foundation.
In 1986, Robina Scott Kindergarten was Incorporated. In August 1995, a new single Kindergarten building was built and opened with a second room added in 1998, along with the Maternal and Child Health Service. Today, this is our dedicated 4 Year Old campus at 105 Ferguson Street offering four group sessions to 122 local children.
In 2020, with the support of Hobsons Bay City Council, a second site at 83 Cecil Street was opened as our dedicated 3 Year Old Kindergarten campus. Next door to where it all started, our 83 Cecil Street campus offers four group sessions to 88 local children.